AI and algorithms for machines in AI-4Energy
Future digital energy markets need to be able to use artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning algorithms (ML) to facilitate robust energy management. The AI4-Energy project aims to optimize the trade, management, and sharing of distributed generated energy from renewable energy sources.
The integration of renewable energy sources into the electrical grid, combined with advances in the field of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) such as IoT, Cloud/Edge computing, has created conditions for the further development of the smart grid. Within this system, consumers have the ability to produce, consume, and store energy. However, effective utilization of the produced energy requires customers to play an active role in selling the generated electricity.
What is the project intended to achieve?
The overarching goal of AI-4Energy is to optimize the trade, management, and sharing of distributed generated energy from renewable sources. The project aims to design machine learning algorithms that can identify and predict uncertainties in production and consumption. Additionally, it seeks to develop schemes for advanced energy trading and management, integrating machine learning algorithms into OpenSource Cloud and Edge platforms.
How is the project implemented?
The project consists of four different work packages:
- WP1 - Machine learning for robust forecasts of supply and demand.
- WP2 - Machine learning for robust energy management.
- WP3 - Building a lab prototype.
- WP4 - Results evaluation.
Who participates in the project?
Karlstad University is the leading actor in the project, and Glava Energy Center is a collaborative partner.
- Project Period: October 1, 2020 – February 29, 2024.
- Main Funder: Swedish Energy Agency.
- Total Budget: SEK 7,186,302.
- Project Coordinator: Karlstad University.
- Project Partner: Glava Energy Center.
- The project's website on Karlstad University's website.
- Contact person at Glava Energy Center: David Olsson, see Contact.